Monday, February 25, 2008

Tully's Coffee owns my soul.

So, I know it has been quite awhile since I've last written. Life has taken over...well, my life. As you all know, I was working as a stationary slave for Papyrus for an insulring 4 hours a week and absolutely hating it. Well, I have good news my friends: I quit Papyrus and I now work at Tully's Coffee.
It's basically my dream job. I am surrounded by coffee at all times of the day. It's perfect, it's heaven, it's an excuse to further worsen my caffiene problem. I swear people, I'm going to be so cracked out, ALL OF THE TIME. Because if you really think about it, coffee is really just liquid crack cocaine. That's what I do: I sell you liquid crack cocaine.


Besides my now heavily supported coffee addiction, other things have been occurring in my life. Last week, me and Kim decided to get extremely dressed up and treat ourselves to dinner. I like to call it our "Dyke Date." Now, the reason I call it that is not because we're lesbians, nor is it because I think being a lesbian is funny or anything else besides...well, just being a lesbian. I call it that because last semester I was informed that I had a "dyke haircut" and ever since then, I have been the resident "dyke" in the dorm. It's one big immature joke that I find incredibly hilarious. So anyway, me and Kim got ourselves all dolled up(yet somehow I still managed to wear jeans...)and went strolling down Union St in the Marina/Cow Hollow district in search of food. Neither of us were quite sure what we felt like ingesting, so we were pretty much just walking around blind. I was also walking around looking for possible job openings. Finally I decided I wanted Italian food, mainly because I hadn't had it in so long. Also, the fact that nearly every restaurant on Union St is Italian probably factored in. We popped by Ambiance to visit Katherine at work for a few mintues and to grab her opinion on a good place to eat. She gave us the least expensive option and the most expensive option. Of course, me and Kim chose the restaurant that costs you an arm and a leg and the soul of your first born child.





Luisa's could technically be considered a "whole-in-the-wall" type of place because the entrance is so hidden and so far back in the dark side alley, that you'd swear they don't want you to actually come in and eat. Once we finally found out how to get inside, we took a quick peek at the menu and waited to be seated. Luis'as is definitely a high class restaurant. Once seated, me and Kim realized we were the only ones there that were A)Not on some form of real date and B)Under 25. The menu was completely in Italian, so we weren't exactly sure what much of the food actually was. We both settled on the standard Chicken Parmigiana because that was the only thing on the damn menu that looked remotely familiar. We were offered wine, but the sudden lack of I.D. checking threw us off and we both declined. It's probably for the best. I don't think the diner's of Luisa's would have appreciated me and Kim knocking back wine and screaming like banshees in our ghetto fashion. Anyway, the service was pretty good, not as fast as I would have liked, but they were pretty busy. The portions were large, I mean, VERY LARGE. But since the food is more expensive, I guess it kind of evens out. Unfortunately, the restaurant doesn't allow photography, so this was the only shot I was able to get:

Doesn't it look delicious?!??!

Trust, me the food was better than the picture might make you think. It was possibly some of the most tender chicken I had ever had in my life. I didn't even need my knife to cut it. I had only had Chicken Parmigiana once before, but I don't think it really counts because it was a sandwich from Subway that was probably just chicken nuggets with some ketchup shoved between two bread slices. So in reality, this was probably the first time I had actually tried this dish. I have to say, I was very impressed, even though I had nothing else to compare it to. Kim apparently gets this meal no matter what Italian restaurant she goes to and she more than approved of it. I think it's safe to say, the Chicken Parmigiana from Luisa's is a smash hit. It also helped that they served it with pieces of broccoli that were about the size of a small mastiff. While we were eating, a woman who I am assuming was Luisa herself, came over to our table and spoke in broken English about what we were eating. To be honest, the only thing I understood was, "Chicken(jibberish jibberish)ok!? HAHAHHAHAHA!" Being the polite and refined women that we are(not), me and Kim just laughed along with her and smiled as big as we could. Just before leaving our table, she stroked my hair a few times, called it beautiful and then continued to laugh as she hobbled on her geriatric Italian way. So if you want great authentic Italian food and a chance to be molested by the owner, go to Luisa's on Union and Laguna St.



We didn't eat outside, but since photography wasn't allowed in the building itself, I thought I'd take a shot of the tables outside to give you an idea of what the place is like. After dinner, me and Kim skipped home(yes, we did actually skip at one point)and then proceeded to wacth a movie while simultaneously bitching and moaning about life and all the things that come along with it. All in all, it was a great night.





Besides, that, not much has been going. I've been swamped with school, errands and my new job at Tully's. It also doesn't help that the weather has been beyond crappy lately. This past weekend, the wind was so bad it nearly knocked out our room windows. There were reports of the Bay and Golden Gate bridges being closed off as well. Fortunately, the weather is now calmer and the sun has actually come out for a bit. But of course, now that it is beautiful outside, I will be stuck inside all day either in class or at work. At least the Tully's I work at has giant windows for me to stare longingly out of.



This past Saturday I made a trip out to my friend Farrah's place. Well, it really wasn't a trip because she only lives about 6 blocks away from me. But walking in the wind and rain at 10pm makes it feel like a serious trek. The point of the night was to get everyone together since we've all been so busy lately and have't had time to see each other. It had originally been presented to us as giant party filled with the crazy antics of poor and strung out college kids. It ended up being my, Farrah and Brendan sucking down an obscenely large bottle of wine while watching retarded YouTube videos. Basically, it was a great night. The one thing that wasn't great was that I got home close to 1am and had to be at work in 7 hours. Hey, at least I work at a place where I get all the free coffee I want. And work wasn't all that bad...minus the fact that the wind nearly blew me over on the way there, we were swamped despite the crappy weather, I had hot water and espresso grinds spilt on me twice and the cash register is so old school, I might as well be carving their orders into a slab of stone with a giant pick. But yeah, other than that, work was fine.



After work, the sun actually came out, so I asked Kim if she wouldn't mind grabbing some lunch. The original plan was to get sushi, but apparently sushi isn't big on Sundays. We did some walking around and finally decided to just head over to Crepevine since nothing else seemed appealing. Crepevine is a nice place for lunch when you don't feel like getting dressed up, or even looking presentable. It's big and loud and crazy and it's the time where you don't mind being ignored by the servers. The seating is cozy(and by that I mean, you're very close to the strangers eating next to you.)and the vibe is hectic. Normally I don't like chaos around meals, but for some reason, the craziness of Crepevine really settles me down. They have a huge menu and serve a variety of meals throughout the whole day. Unfortunately, I was a bad blogger and had forgotten my camera at home. But basically this is what our table looked like when our food was brought to us:




Kim purchased a serving of buttermilk pancakes and a sweet crepe with strawberries and chocolate(with ice cream on the side)while I stuck with the more conventional grilled eggplant sandwich. All the food was scarfed down in record timing due to the fact that both of us were extremely hungry and Crepevine seriously makes damn good food. Only downside: a waiter nearly spilled milk on me, but since I was already covered in coffee, burns from hot water and random pastry flakes, I honestly don't think I would have cared. After lunch, me and Kim rolled our overstuffed bellies home and both took much needed naps. I ended up dreaming about making coffee at work. I can tell that my coffee addiction is already getting worse.

I love it.

1 comment:

your pal bree said...

I hope that you realize that I make myself coffee nearly every morning now. thanks christine for getting me addicted to your delicious liquid crack!